To Lease or Not to Lease: Has Anyone NOT signed a lease? I'd like to hear why you didn't

My wife and I are part of a landowners group that is in the process of having their Range Resources contract reviewed by attorneys.  We only have 3.2 acres and have not decided whether we are actually going to sign a lease.  I am curious to hear from people who started to go through the process and then at some point decided against it.  I'd like to hear your reasons.  FYI - I'm not posting this so I can attack people's decisions.  I am genuinely interested in hearing from people who decided not to sign a lease.  

Thanks in advance!

Views: 16244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no, i'm not talking about individual windmills....i'm talking about the biggies, commercial.  there are a zillion hassles even for those without leases.  and the companies claim emminent domain and put the electic lines wherever they want.

I agree with you and would love to believe that the natural gas industry is as good as the industry would like us to believe.

I have family in PA and there are a lot of things that aren't right.  The water wells going bad is real. Did it come from the drilling? No one knows for sure because many didn't have testing before drilling started.  All I know is that many of these people have lived there all their lives with no problems untill drilling started.

If you question or want to know answers before you decide you are called an "environmental extremest" I think that finding out all we can BEFORE they  drill probably the best thing we can do. Anyone who doesn't believe the stories coming out of PA should go there and see.  These are decisions that are going to affect us for generations to come.  Making false accusations against people who want the truth, or for some who are reporting negative impacts is just another case of the greed involved in this entire process.  I don't think that these people are making up these stories for fun and that the reports are there to scare us.  They are news of what is happening and it is up to us to educate ourselves as much as we can before not after the fact.

As far as I'm concerned, there are too many questions yet and I want answers from people who have nothing to gain by telling the truth. Not EID people who are funded and mouth pieces for the industry. Just because we search for facts, and are concerned people call us extreme. I'm with you, I want to be sure it's safe and what is happening in PA tells me there is much we don't know about this industry yet.  Like one person in PA told me,  "do your homework first, because once they come onto your property it's too late"

So any of the information I am passing along is just that. I have not made a decision either way but I want the facts first. Those rushing in for the gold are blinded by the $$$ signs and it's too bad because these are decisions that will affect all of us in the end. You are correct in wanting to know the facts, don't let them bully you into thinking anything else.

Nicely stated Jake.  I could not agree more.

good to read some thoughtful words, jake, and i think you are right on target with your approach.  i think all would be so much simpler for everyone involved in all facets of this development if the industry would just be HONEST with us.  just tell the truth .  then all could be making decisions without needing to be constantly 'watching our backs'.
Thanks for your words of wisdom, Jake.  It's very difficult now to find unbiased opinions on the issue.  Do I think it's as dangerous and destructive all the time like some environmentalists claim?  No - I don't.  On the other side of the coin I also don't think it's as safe and accident-free as the industry would like us to believe.  The truth lies somewhere in between and therein lies the rub.
Sorry, but the ban of the light bulb was put into motion in 2007.
If Josh Fox had done his homework, he might have found that Larry, Moe and Shemp plumbed those houses :-)
 I agree they should have called the plumber not the gas company they have to have the pipes hooked up wrong also if I had methane like that in my well I would use it to run the house and drill a new fresh water well.
and you know the water in the new well would be ok?  how is that?

does anybody know about these people?   were they "sick" before drilling - their names are listed in the recent article about marburger dairy.  I think their would have been more news out there if people started to die and their teeth and hair fell out everywhere a drilling rig was placed. 

If these chemicals are so toxic that exposure to even small amounts causes all these problems, how do the crews that work in it all day for weeks at a time don't have the same symptoms?  I have seen crews that have all their hair and all their teeth.

Seems drilling crews should have a much higher incidence of health problems since they are exposed to these chemicals at a much higher rate and concentration.

If it is so bad.....then why do the protestors go so close? Why havent all the cows died at marburger? If i really believed that it caused my hair, teeth , and fingers to fall off - you would not catch me within 100 miles of it! 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service