I have one lease that expired this past January with CHK, in South Beaver Twp.

I kept putting off asking them to officially release me, for one reason or another. Well, yesterday I received in the mail official release papers all signed and ready for me to record with the county without even asking for the paperwork. Admittedly I was completely surprised. My brother also received the same paperwork for his property.

Was wondering if others have received the same?

There must be some kind of State requirement now to do this as CHK doesn't do anything unless the law requires it... and even then they don't do some things.

Have a Happy Memorial Day weekend...and please don't forget WHY we are memorializing.

Views: 959

Replies to This Discussion

That's interesting and good for you, Craig. Does anybody out there know if there is State law as Craig suggests that requires the lease holder to do this on a timely basis. I currently have a very old lease on a property and the shallow well that hbp'ed the property stopped producing mid 2015. The lease holder said 6 months ago that they would voluntarily terminate/release the lease but they have not done so yet. I would like to know as a landowner if there is legal action I can bring against them for their lack of diligence?  

If you remember I posted last summer that we had had our lease renewed. There must be no state law about releasing people from their lease cause that has been almost a year and we have heard nothing.. Of course that is not to say it won 't happen.

Marilyn, so you are saying that they said they were going to renew your lease but didn't? or I'm reading this wrong?

 I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear. They renewed the lease right then. Check was attached. Haven't heard a word since.Then all the news about the money problems, but that wasn't only with CHK.

marilyn, until your new lease expires you will probably hear nothing unless they go to drill/unitize you.

Read Ron's post below.

If I'm not mistaken I believe I read here if a well hasn't been in production for x amount of time one can file some sort of paperwork to request release of a lease. Maybe someone else can chime in.


     Here is the NEW IN 2014 Act 152 Recording of Surrender Documents from Oil & Natural Gas Lease Act.

This law is user friendly as written, so you can save some money on a lawyer and take the action on your own.

I can see we need to add this information to a Blog showing the Release Law for each state. 

Here is the link to the story:


Act 152 of 2014 (House Bill 402), also known as the “Recording of Surrender Documents from Oil and Natural Gas Lease Act,” requires lessees to provide a surrender document to a lessor within 30 days of the termination, expiration or cancellation of an oil and gas lease.

Thank you Ron, I knew someone would post info that I couldn't remember ; )

Folks can complain all they want about your postings, but I appreciate them regardless.


      Thanks for the feedback.

Better times are ahead for all of us, the evidence against the Giant is indisputable!


© 2021   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service