For anyone that will be dealing with Rover, you are in store for the laugh of your life. The money they are offering is beyond ridiculous. I'm hearing numbers like one dollar per foot for access and five bucks a foot for an easement. Are they serious? My lawyer is handling the mess, I don't need the headache.

Views: 3941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The one I'm dealing with is definitely from Rover.

Evil is the root of all money LOL

Phil

Here's a PSA, folks: Rover--and anyone else who is using eminent domain to run a FERC line--has a number written down somewhere.  They have a top line dollar amount that they're willing to pay in order to avoid litigation.  That number may very well be fluid, based on the growth or contraction of capex, which is driven by how many people say "yes" to the first or second offer.  There's an amount they're willing to pay in order to stay out of court.  What that number is you will never know.  That's why these pipeline lawyer groups make sense.  If ET can knock down X miles of the line by negotiating with one party rather than dozens they'll pay a premium.  Those who negotiate deals like this one on their own have a name in the industry.  They're called "marks".  

Words of wisdom, get with a pipeline lawyer group. As they say "there is safety in numbers". Let the attorneys sort it all out. 

Zack,

Yes, Rover is serious about offering you $5 dollars per foot.  They have to do something to balance the $100+ per foot they are paying some holdouts.  I have spoken to two landowners in eastern Ohio I have known for decades who were stubborn enough to drag Rover into court, and both received over $100 per foot.  I suspect no pipeline company really wants to leave the landowner's compensation up to a jury.  Just about everyone in eastern Ohio is friends with, works with or is related to someone who is being slapped around by a pipeline company.  It would be tough to seat a jury that would award a landowner $5 per foot as "just compensation."

Correct me if I am mistaken. I was brought to believe a judge decides compensation in matters of ROWs and not a jury.

It's amazing how Rover gets right to the point. We're going to pay you such and such amount....like the landowner has no say in the matter. It's sad to say, but many fall for this bullying. Hire an experienced attorney folks, you'll be glad you did.

When the land men showed up at my place for the Leach Express I told them I wouldn't even discuss terms until they brought me a letter of intent to use imment domian.
I was advised that one doesn't have to pay taxes from imment Domian proceedings.
Was told all I have to have is an official letter from the company stating the possibality of imment domian being used.
Anyone have any thoughts?

In Ohio, the judge decides if eminent domain is applicable.  Once he make the decision, the compensation is decided by a jury.  The pipeline company hires a professional appraiser to estimate the value of the land.  They will base it on what similar plots of land have sold for in the area recently.  The company will then send this to you, with the implied threat that if you don't accept their final offer, this is the price you will get stuck with.  What they don't tell you is that the landowner is free to present any evidence that he feels proves his property is more valuable than the pipeline's appraisal.  After both sides present their case, a jury decides.

When Voluntarily Granting a Pipeline Easement:

• YOU give away YOUR right to sue the pipeline company.
• YOU enter into a business deal with unknown future liabilities.
• YOU may have continuing extra insurance expense.
• YOUR mortgage or refinance options may be jeopardized
• YOUR property values with decrease
• YOU may become a defendant in a lawsuit
• Additional Pipelines or utilities may be “Co-Located” on the easement without further compensation or permissions
• Pipelines for one type of fossil fuels may be converted for transport of other fuels or liquids.

If you force Eminent Domain:

• YOU retain YOUR right to sue. YOU preserve YOUR right to sue in a class action for a taking of YOUR land
• YOU are not liable or responsible for problems or damages that may occur
• Pipeline corporation is solely liable and responsible
• YOU cannot be named as a defendant in a lawsuit
• NO “Co-location” of more pipelines or utilities is allowed
• ONLY the original fuel or liquid type is allowed. Pipeline use cannot be converted to carry other fuels or liquids
• YOU still receive financial compensation
• The pipeline may be relocated to avoid YOUR property
• If enough people force Eminent Domain the project may be canceled or relocate

Hi Joe I thought they would use the assessed value with a multipler to come up with a appraised value.
I have serious doubts they will want to use recent sales of properties close by my farm for a base of Value.
My farm is only about one farm away from Magorsville complex all the recent sales I know of close by my farm have been in excess of a million dollars.
On second thought maybe that's why they where so willing to relocate the line to where I wanted it to go.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service