To Lease or Not to Lease: Has Anyone NOT signed a lease? I'd like to hear why you didn't

My wife and I are part of a landowners group that is in the process of having their Range Resources contract reviewed by attorneys.  We only have 3.2 acres and have not decided whether we are actually going to sign a lease.  I am curious to hear from people who started to go through the process and then at some point decided against it.  I'd like to hear your reasons.  FYI - I'm not posting this so I can attack people's decisions.  I am genuinely interested in hearing from people who decided not to sign a lease.  

Thanks in advance!

Views: 16244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

During one of the meetings, our landman told us that "H2S gas is not toxic and is safe." WTF?!?!?! I don't think he would have said this if he knew who I worked for and what I did for a living.  I am a software developer for Mine Safety Appliances and I work in the portable gas detection group.  H2S is lethal at concentrated levels (1000ppm will probably kill you in a couple of minutes) but even OSHA has a 20ppm limit on short exposures.  The reason H2S came up was because it's allegedly one of the toxic gases that is emitted from these slurry / frack ponds.

If they are lying about easily checked scientific facts, what else are they lying about that we would have no way to check or verify? Hmmmm....

I agree with you 100% about doing a more thorough study of the strata before drilling commences.  I'll agree with the gas companies on this - a lot of the chemicals that are being released into private wells DO NOT come from the fracking liquid.  They are trapped in the ground and are released when the ground is disturbed.  Just like our landman told us, "Every drill site is a different story and you can't use one site to make assumptions about another".  They need to test water that is retrieved from the fracking process and publicly disclose what they find in the water.  We have high concentrations of Radon in our area (we had to have a Radon evacuation system put in a couple of years ago) plus our area was mined heavily up until the late 70's.

Barbara - Thank you for your comments.  I agree with the majority of points you make.  As I stated in one of my original posts / replies, I have confidence in the engineering and process of fracking.  What I have absolutely zero faith in is our ability to monitor this process with several gates of checks and balances.  I think one of the reasons gas companies are going like gangbusters, aside from the fact that PA has a wealth of Marcellus gas available (according to the studies), is that PA has VERY few regulations governing the process (and this is after regulations were put in place when problems started to arise).  I feel that they are trying to get as much done as possible before more astringent regulations are put into place.  Our landman even told us, "We are continually asked by our management to do more with the same resources at a faster pace".  Now, you've created an environment where, at best,  corners are liable to be cut in an industry where there are already few deterrents and at worst; you're going to increase the likelihood of a serious accident because people are rushing to get things done.  

My dad is a member of a hunting camp up in Clinton County that is a mile from a well and there was an accident there early this year.  1200 gallons of antifreeze (used to prevent moisture in the bore from freezing) was spilled out onto the ground.  The system is supposed to be a closed system where the antifreeze is circulated from a reservoir.  However, the person operating it forgot to hook the pipeline from the reservoir to the well so when he turned the pump on the antifreeze was just being pumped out onto the ground.  The thing that pissed the hunting camp off was that they would never have known it even happened except that one of the members overhead a conversation someone at the township meeting was having about "the spill up at the well off of <road name>".  He asked about it and then called the DEP the next day and they confirmed the spill.  ONLY then did the DEP send someone out to get a water sample from the spring the camp uses.  Even though nothing showed up in the water, they recommend that they not use the water for drinking.  

The DEP is not equipped right now to manage this situation effectively.  In PA (as in most states), you are required to have a licensed construction engineer on a job site at all times.  Does the EPA require someone to be onsite during drilling?  (I'm asking the question because I really don't know).  If they don't, than they should.  

I think the only "wonderful" thing about this is the money.  I think "Shallionaires" was the phrase I've heard.  But for small landowner's like us, we reap much smaller benefits yet share the exact same risks as everyone else.  Don't get me wrong - I think the US needs to stop depending on O&G from overseas and start developing some of the resources we have here.  However,  I think that more care can be given in the extraction of the resource.  Natural gas may be the cleanest burning fuel we have available to us, but the processes in which we retrieve it leave much to be desired.  

another sad part to the entire situation is the foreign investing getting involved in our gas and oil deposit , now we are not as dependent  on foreign oil, but foreign companies are dependent on our oil for their profits
this is a bradford co pa site..............part of gomarcellusgo............all are welcome, but i think many of the people here and questions here are related to bradford co.
i'm sorry....i hadn't realized that it hadn't come from bradford county part of GMS.  that's how i first saw it.  i know the site is for many/all overall, but figured the specific county areas drew mostly from people in that county.  i wasn't trying to be awful, i just truly thought most comments originated with bradford co and just thought jill  would like to  know why so many comments were from here, and that we didn't always say just where we 'were coming from' with the comments we posted. if i bothered anyone it was completely unintentional.
Yeah... Sorry Barbara, I have to agree with Gregory.  This blog is part of the main page, which is fair game for all areas and individuals involved with the Marcellus or Utica play.  If this was part of the Bradford Co. PA site, then that would be mentioned at the top of the page under the blog title... Where this one says "Shale(Marcellus or Utica)" it would say something relating to Bradford Co.
got'cha....thanks

Read the following: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/nyregion/hydrofracking-leases-sub...

I know too many people who are suffering because of these wells around their property.  They witness things that are unbelievable.  Our state is being poisoned and not slowly.  Work for a ban in your community before they begin to drill.  Their our groups in Pgh, and Butler that can help.  The list is beginning to grow on cities big and small banning fracking.  The money will never be worth the ruin.

Karen Bagdes-canning where is all this ruin you speak of? There has been some mishaps but the gas companys took all responsability and generiously fixed any problems? Your article from NY. Dosen't make any sense,they haven't drilled there ? 
Right now in Connequenessing, PA people's water and air is contaiminated. This is just one of the areas in the country that has been ruined.  Their wells can never be made clean.  Paleface, I have not heard of any companies taking responsiblility and neither has our Governor Corbett.  They settle and with these settlements are agreements about not talking so other cities and towns remain ignorant.  Ron Gulla is not one who has stayed quiet.  You can see him on youtube.  Watch Gasland by Josh Fox.  So many more people have been ripped off by these compnanies that another Gasland is being made.  People in New York are being schooled now on what really can and does happen when a well is fracked and many of those New Yorkers want out of those leases.  I'm sure the companies will oblige becasue they are so generous and such good neighbors.  Yeah, right.

I can confirm the issues that Connequenessing has been having.  My wife has recently attended a meeting with Marcellus Outreach Butler and was able to speak with some of those folks.  I can also confirm that help is extended to those who are affected with the caveat that a non-disclosure agreement is signed.  I believe that states like NY and MD that are requiring more research / regulation are doing it smarter than PA.

I'll reserve my comments about Corbett for a forum that is more appropriate :p.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service