This well is located about 4 miles from my property. This was a vertical well. How could it produce so much. Is this just a fluke or do other pockets hold this. They couldnt drill to the shale layers back them so were would all this come from???

Views: 580

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally, I am a little skeptical about the measurement of 100 MMcf/d especially coming from the Big Injun Formation at a depth of ~1800 ft. To put this in perspective, EQT's Scotts Run well IP'd at 73 MMcf/d in the Utica at greater than 10,000 ft deep. It is possible that the formation held a ton of trapped gas that was sourced from a deeper formation but even so, numbers like what was reported would be a fluke at best in my opinion. 

Yeah Blueflame, I am in your camp. Even the TBR wells of today can't rival that output for long, if ever, and I am not certain it could be choked with the pressures they reported to be present. Your assessment of a pool of trapped gas makes the most sense.

Some journalistic license might be at work here.....IMHO....but it makes a fun story!

P.S.-did they ever produce any oil from this well?

Dont know if any oil came out. There are lots of stories about this. Some say 50 mil a day. It justed seemed weird at that depth and layer.

No that is for real. Back then they didnt have a way to control pressure and blew down the reservoirs rapidly and drilled too many wells too close together. Think of a can of pop going flat (in the case of oil wells). 

Local Groups

Blog Posts

The Sustainability Bugaboo and the Price of Green Political Correctness

Posted by Thomas J Shepstone on March 13, 2018 at 2:43pm 0 Comments

Steven Pinker looks at sustainability and what it cannot be allowed to mean if we value progress. It’s not the green political correctness pushed on us.

Add Steven Pinker to the list of rational thinkers who…

March 2018

© 2018   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service